Bikes are a cost-effective and environmentally sustainable form of transportation. Unfortunately, motorists in Southern California are not always as good as they should be about sharing the road with bikes. The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) reports that approximately 13,000 cyclists are injured in accidents in the state each year. Sadly, hundreds of cyclists are killed.
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Huntington Beach bicycle accident lawyers are solutions-driven advocates for injured victims. With more than $1 billion secured for our clients across our complete range of practice areas, we have the experience needed to handle bike accident claims. To schedule a free, strictly private consultation with a California bicycle accident lawyer, please contact us today.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Huntington Beach, California
Bicycle accident injury claims are complicated. If you or your loved one was hurt in a bike accident in Southern California, it is crucial that you know the next steps to take to protect your health, safety, and legal rights. Here are four steps to take to get you started in the recovery process:
- Injury Evaluation: A bicycle accident injury may be more serious than initially recognized. All injuries should be evaluated by a qualified physician. Not only is this important to protect the health of the injured cyclist, but it is also an important step in the legal claim process.
- Report the Bike Accident: A bike-motor vehicle collision that results in an injury to any party should be reported to law enforcement and the driver’s insurer.
- Document the Collision and Injuries: In California, bike accident claims are fault-based legal cases. It is good to document the collision and injuries with photos. Getting the contact information of any witnesses can also prove to be extremely helpful.
- Talk to a Huntington Beach Bike Accident Attorney: Injured bicyclists do not have to go up against aggressive insurance companies alone. Contact one of our experienced injury lawyers for a confidential case consultation.
An Overview of California Bicycle Accident Laws
A bicycle accident claim in California is a fault-based legal claim. To hold a driver, truck company, bike manufacturer, or any other party liable for a collision, it must be established that their negligence contributed to the crash. Some notable examples of negligent conduct that can cause bike accidents include:
California is a comparative negligence bicycle accident state. Each party to a bike collision will be liable for their “share” of the fault. For example, if the cyclist were found to be at fault for 20 percent of the bicycle accident then the cyclist could be responsible for 20 percent of the damages.
Compensation in a Bicycle Accident Claim in California
Bicycle accident compensation is highly fact-specific. How much compensation can be recovered after a bike collision in Huntington Beach depends on many different factors, including the extent of the out-of-pocket financial losses to the injured party as well as intangible damages. Damages can include:
- Emergency room care;
- Medical bills;
- Physical therapy;
- Psychological counseling;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Disability; and
- Wrongful death of a loved one.
No Fee Unless Clients Recover Compensation
Many people are reasonably worried about the cost of legal fees after a serious bicycle accident. After all, the last thing an injured cyclist wants to deal with after a serious bicycle accident is another bill that needs to be paid. Our law firm can represent injured victims on a contingency fee basis. Our Huntington Beach bicycle accident lawyers only collect a legal fee when we secure financial compensation for our clients.
Call Our Huntington Beach, CA Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyers Today
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Huntington Beach bicycle accident lawyers fight for the rights of injured victims and their families—not for the interests of big insurance companies. Give us a call or get in touch with us online to schedule a free consultation. Our law firm represents bicycle accident victims in Huntington Beach and throughout Southern California, including in Orange County, Los Angeles County, and Ventura County.
No attorney-client relationship has been created between the reader, user, browser, and website authors.