At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Newport Beach bicycle accident attorneys are experienced advocates for injured victims and families. We have secured more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients across all of our legal practice areas. If you or your family member was hurt in a bicycle collision, we may be able to help. Contact us today to set up a free, confidential consultation with a top Newport Beach bike accident lawyer.
Bicycle Safety Remains a Serious Problem
Bicycles can be cost-effective, environmentally-conscious, and healthy forms of transportation and recreation. At the same time, bike safety remains a significant issue. According to data provided by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) , more than 13,500 cyclists are hurt in accidents in the state of California each year. As cyclists have limited protection, too many of these accidents lead to catastrophic injuries. Tragically, the National Safety Council (NSC) reports that 1,260 cyclists were killed in accidents in 2020 alone.
What to Do After a Bike Accident in Newport Beach
Here are four key steps to take after a bicycle accident in Newport Beach, CA:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention for Injuries: A collision between a cyclist and a motor vehicle should be reported to law enforcement if any party sustained a physical injury in the crash.
- Report an Accident to the Police: A bike-motor vehicle collision that results in an injury to any party should be reported to law enforcement and the driver’s insurer.
- Document the Collision: California is an at-fault state for bike accident claims. It is helpful to thoroughly document any accidents.
- Consult With an Attorney: Experienced bicycle accident attorneys can help their clients navigate the legal intricacies of a bicycle accident, allowing the victim to focus on recovering from their injuries.
An Overview of Bicycle Laws in California
As a cyclist in Newport Beach, the operation of your bike is governed largely by state law. Here are some of the most notable things that cyclists should know about their rights and responsibilities in California:
What Type of Compensation Can Be Sought in a Bike Accident Injury Claim?
Personal injury compensation is always issued on a case-by-case basis. Many factors—from liability to the severity of injuries—will affect the settlement or verdict. Depending on the specific circumstances of the bike accident injury claim, financial compensation may be sought for:
- Economic Damages: Some notable examples of economic damages include bike repairs or replacements, medical bills, physical therapy, lost wages, and diminished earning power, if applicable.
- Non-Economic Damages: Some notable examples of non-economic damages may include pain and suffering, mental distress, permanent scarring, and long-term disability.
We Handle Bicycle Accident Injury Claims On a Contingency Basis
Our clients do not have to worry about the cost of hiring an experienced Newport Beach bike accident injury attorney. At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, we advocate for our clients on a contingency fee basis. There are no fees charged to our clients for our services unless we win their case.
Contact Our Newport Beach, CA Bike Accident Injury Lawyers Today
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Newport Beach bicycle accident attorneys have the skills and experience to help injured victims navigate the complexities of the legal claims process. If you or someone close to you was hurt in a bike accident, professional support may be available. Give us a call today or connect with us directly online for a free, confidential case review. We represent injured victims in Newport Beach, Orange County, and throughout Southern California.
No attorney-client relationship has been created between the reader, user, browser, and website authors.