At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Huntington Beach Uber & Lyft accident lawyers have the professional skills and legal knowledge that their clients can trust. Hold negligent drivers, big ridesharing companies, and commercial insurers accountable. If you or your loved one was injured in an Uber accident or a Lyft accident call our legal team today for a free, no obligation initial consultation with an experienced California ridesharing accident attorney.
An Overview of Uber & Lyft Accident Claims in California
Uber and Lyft are the two largest ridesharing companies in California. The services they offer have become increasingly popular, as ridesharing can be a convenient form of transportation in Huntington Beach and the surrounding communities in Orange County. At the same time, ridesharing accidents remain a safety issue. There are some specialized insurance laws in place in California to ensure ridesharing passengers (and the public) are properly protected. Here are three key things to know about Uber & Lyft accident claims in California:
1. Statute of Limitations: Ridesharing accident claims in Huntington Beach are subject to a statute of limitations under California law. This means that you must either formally settle your claim with the insurance company or file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires. Failure to settle your claim or file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations, will bar a person from the ability to seek compensation for their injuries. In California, the statute of limitations can range from as little as six months or up to two years from the date of the accident. That being said, the personal injury claims process should begin soon after an accident. Ridesharing passengers should notify Uber or Lyft after a crash. A statement to the insurance company will also be required. Speaking to an experienced Huntington Beach attorney can help victims better understand and be prepared for the process.
2. Pure Comparative Fault Standard of Liability: California operates under a pure comparative fault standard of liability for motor vehicle accident claims, including ridesharing accident cases. Uber and Lyft accidents should be comprehensively investigated and evaluated by an experienced attorney to determine exactly how and why they happened. The at-fault party should be held accountable for the crash.
3. Ridesharing Insurance Regulations Apply: Ridesharing is complicated. Most drivers on the app are using their personal vehicle—not a car owned by Uber or Lyft. California has unique insurance regulations in place to handle this issue. The California Department of Insurance requires all ridesharing companies (Uber, Lyft, etc) to provide a minimum of $1 million in commercial liability insurance coverage to protect passengers. All ridesharing passengers are covered by commercial insurance. However, when an Uber/Lyft driver is “off-the-clock”, their personal auto insurance coverage is responsible for an accident.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered in an Uber/Lyft Accident Claim?
Victims injured in ridesharing accidents need money to pay bills. In California, motor vehicle accident victims can seek financial relief for out-of-pocket losses and intangible damages. That being said, it is not easy to get a full recovery. The big commercial insurance companies want to pay out as little as they can get away with. Our dedicated Huntington Beach car accident lawyers help build strong, compelling legal cases. Compensation may be available for:
- Ambulance fees and emergency medical treatment;
- Hospital bills and other health-related expenses;
- Physical therapy;
- Lost wages and loss of earning potential;
- Pain and suffering;
- Permanent disfigurement or disability; and
- Wrongful death of a close family member.
How Our Huntington Beach Ridesharing Accident Attorneys Can Help
Uber/Lyft accident claims are complicated. Whether our clients are injured as ridesharing passengers, pedestrians, or as occupants of other vehicles, we help them navigate the legal process. The Uber & Lyft accident attorneys at Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP are devoted to:
- Aggressive representation;
- A personalized approach;
- Proactive communication with clients; and
- A commitment to results.
Our Huntington Beach Uber & Lyft accident attorneys represent injured victims on contingency—they pay nothing until we win their case.
Contact Our Huntington Beach Uber/Lyft Accident Lawyers Today
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our motor vehicle accident attorneys have the skills and experience to handle Uber accident claims and Lyft accident claims. We are committed to providing personalized representation to victims and their families. Call us now or contact our legal team online for a free, no commitment review of your case. We represent ridesharing accident victims throughout Orange County, including in Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, and Westminster.
No attorney-client relationship has been created between the reader, user, or browser, and website authors.