An Overview of California’s Product Liability Laws
As a consumer, you should not have to worry that the products you purchase will be unreasonably dangerous for your family. In California, corporations—manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc.—have a legal obligation to ensure that they are putting reasonably safe products onto the market. A company can be held liable for injuries caused by a dangerous and defective product. Here are three key things to know about the product liability laws in California:
- A Statute of Limitations: Victims have limited time to bring a defective product lawsuit in California. Under state law, the time an individual has to settle or file a lawsuit for their product liability claim is generally covered by a statute of limitations. This means an individual will lose their right to seek compensation for their injuries if they don’t settle their claim or file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations. Therefore, you should always consult with a lawyer about the statute of limitations in your case.
- California is a Strict Liability State: Unlike most other types of injury & accident claims, product liability cases are not governed by the negligence standard. A corporation can be held strictly liable for injuries caused by a defective product.
- There are Several Types of Product Defects: A product liability claim may be filed on several different grounds, including defective manufacturing, defective design, and failure to include adequate safety instructions and/or warning labels.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered in a Product Liability Claim?
Compensation is always awarded on a case-by-case basis. Through a successful product liability claim, an injured victim may be able to recover financial support for economic and non-economic losses. Our Huntington Beach defective product lawyers advocate for the best interests of their clients. Depending on the specific circumstances of a product liability claim, compensation may be available for:
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Other health care expenses;
- Loss of current and future wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental anguish;
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement;
- Long-term physical impairment; and
- The wrongful death of a family member.
No Fee Unless We Help Secure Compensation
The last thing injured victims need to worry about after a serious accident is another bill. At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, we handle product liability claims in Southern California on contingency. There are no fees unless our legal team achieves a settlement or verdict on behalf of our clients.
Call Our Huntington Beach, CA Defective Product Lawyers Today
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Huntington Beach product liability attorneys are experienced, results-focused advocates for victims and their family members.Contact us today for a free review of your personal injury case. Our law firm handles product liability claims for clients throughout Southern California, including in Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Santa Ana.
No attorney-client relationship has been created between the reader, user, browser, and website authors.