A bus can be a cost effective and convenient form of transportation. Whether you are riding a private commuter bus, an Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) bus, or any other type of bus, you reasonably expect a safe ride. Unfortunately, bus accidents remain a serious public safety concern. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that an average of 60,000 bus accidents are reported nationwide each year.
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Huntington Beach bus accident lawyers take a proactive approach to every case that we take on. With over $1 billion received on behalf of our clients across the full spectrum of our practice areas, we are committed to helping people get the support that they need to move forward after a serious accident. To arrange a free, fully confidential consultation with a California bus accident attorney, please do not hesitate to contact our legal team today.
What to Do After a Bus Accident in Huntington Beach
Bus accidents are complicated. Here are four steps to take if one is involved in a bus accident in Huntington Beach:
- Get Immediate Attention for Any Injuries: A bus accident injury may be far more serious than the victim immediately recognizes. Immediate medical attention for any injuries sustained in a bus crash can prove to be extremely helpful in the log run.
- Report the Bus Accident: All bus accidents should be reported. Not only can the collision be reported to state or local law enforcement, but the company (or public authority) responsible for the bus service should be notified as well.
- Gather and Secure Relevant Evidence: Gather as much evidence and information as possible to document how and why the accident occurred including taking photographs of the accident scene and collecting the names and phone numbers of potential witnesses.
- Speak to a Huntington Beach Bus Accident Lawyer: Injured victims do not have to go up against private bus companies, public transit authorities, or insurance companies alone. Our Huntington Beach bus accident attorneys provide free, no obligation case reviews.
An Overview of California Bus Accident Laws
Public and private buses should be operated with the proper safety precautions. A bus accident can cause serious injuries to passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and occupants of other vehicles. Here are three things to know about the bus accident laws in California:
- California is a Fault-Based Motor Vehicle Accident State: In California, motor vehicle accident liability—including bus accident liability—is based on fault. A bus operator is not always legally responsible for an accident. An injured victim must prove that their negligence (failure to exercise due care) contributed to the accident.
- Buses are Often ‘Common Carriers’ in California: Under California Civil Code § 2168, a private bus may be classified as a common carrier. A common carrier may be held to a higher standard of care than other types of motorists.
- Special Procedures May Apply With a Public Bus: There are often special procedural rules in place for public transportation accidents. If you were hurt in an accident with a public bus, you may have less time to initiate the claims process.
Compensation in a Bus Accident Injury Case in California
Compensation for a bus accident injury claim in California varies from case to case. With limited exceptions, a personal injury verdict or settlement is designed to be purely compensatory in nature—meaning it is meant to compensate the victim for their actual economic and non-economic losses. Depending on circumstances, a bus accident victim may seek compensation for:
- Emergency medical care;
- Past medical bills;
- Estimated cost of future medical care;
- Physical therapy;
- Mental health support;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Permanent disfigurement/disability; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
No Fee Unless You Recover Compensation
With our law firm, clients do not have to worry about hourly billing rates or out-of-pocket costs. We can represent injured victims on a contingency basis. There is no upfront cost. Our Huntington Beach bus accident attorneys only collect a legal fee when our clients secure compensation through a verdict or a settlement.
Call Our Huntington Beach, CA Bus Accident Lawyers Today
At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, our Huntington Beach bus accident lawyers are skilled, experienced advocates for injured victims and their loved ones. Contact our law firm today for a no cost, fully confidential case evaluation. We advocate for the rights of bus accident victims in Huntington Beach and all around the surrounding region, including in Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Anaheim, and Newport Beach.
No attorney-client relationship has been created between the reader, user, or browser, and website authors.